February 03, 2011
Keeping your MyChron4 firmware up to date...
Tip #1- Keeping your MyChron4 firmware up to date
For everyone wondering, firmware is basically the internal software that is permanently embedded in your MyChron. This “internal software” provides the instructions for the hardware (i.e. CPU) and tells it what exactly to do and when. Firmware also allows us to fix outstanding “bugs,” add additional features, and update the on-screen interface.
Here are the steps to update your Data Key, and in turn, your MyChron4…
1. First off, you will need to download the latest version of MyChron4 firmware, which can be found on our Web site, http://aimsports.com/software/
(NOTE: It is usually easiest to save the firmware directly to your PC’s Desktop, just so that you don’t struggle to find it later.)
2. Next, plug your Data Key into your PC.
3. Run the firmware update (that you just saved on your PC’s Desktop).
4. Choose the first option (closest to the top). This option tells the Data Key to look at the firmware in the MyChron4 and if the firmware on the Key is newer, then it will automatically apply the update, otherwise it will simply download the data.
5. After selecting the update type, click “PROCEED”.
(NOTE: When you update the firmware on your Data Key, the data stored on the Key will be erased, so make sure that you’ve downloaded it prior to running the update.)
6. Once the firmware update has finished, click “OK”.
7. Go ahead and connect the updated Data Key to the expansion port marked “EXP/PC” on the back of your MyChron4 and power the unit ON.
(NOTE: If you’re running a MyChron Expansion or eBox, then the port on the back of your MyChron4 will already be in use. In this case, you can simply connect the Data Key to the open expansion port marked “NET” or “EXP.” Likewise, if you’re running a GPS module, you can connect the Data Key to one of the open ports on the Data Hub. If it turns out that you are running other expansion devices, like the MyChron Expansion, eBox, or GPS module, you always want to be sure that they are connected to the MyChron4 when you hook up the Data Key so that the update is applied to each of these devices as well.
8. The firmware update should automatically initiate and the MyChron4 should show “Upgrade FW MYC4” on-screen.
9. Once the update has completely installed, the MyChron4 will automatically shut itself off.
NOTE: DO NOT shut the MyChron4 off or disconnect the Data Key before it has completed the firmware update; doing so may result in complete system failure. This is also why we ask that you connect the Data Key prior to powering the MyChron4 on; if you’re not able to get the Data Key threaded properly and the update has already started, you’re no longer able to disconnect the Key and rethread it—you’re stuck awkwardly holding it there for the next minute or two until the update has finished.
10. The MyChron4 screen will flash “END” prior to powering down. This is the indicator that the update was successfully applied and that you may then disconnect the Data Key.
So, that’s it! Your MyChron4 is now up to date and ready to hit the race track. If you have any issues updating your MyChron4, please give our Technical Service staff a call and we’ll get you taken care of immediately. Our Technical Service staff can be reached either by phone at 800.718.9090 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
Posted by joshua at 11:21 PM